If you are planning to participate in a marathon, it is important to know all the aspects of it. To begin with, there are different types of marathons. Just as surprising as it sounds, each type of marathon has its own features. The biggest differences between the marathons are the distance covered by each. So what are the different types of marathons? What kind of preparation do you need to participate in each of the types? What kind of clothes should you wear? Keep reading to find out.
Short marathon or 6.21 miles
If there is a benchmark distance for running, it is set at 10 kilometers or 6.21 miles. It can be achieved fairly by everyone with a few months’ worth training. The goal is attainable, boosts motivation and requires very little preparation. But nonetheless, they can be summarized as follows.
- Make a plan at least two months prior to the 10-kilometer race. Also, stick to it.
- Even though the goal seems easy, but training is still necessary if you wish to complete it.
- Pick your regular running clothes. No extra features for the clothes are required. A simple tank top and shorts will work wonders when running this distance. Tank tops wholesale bulk can be purchased by retailers from the top manufacturers of the same.
Half Marathon or 13.1 miles
For half marathon, the distance almost doubles yet is still quite realizable. Discipline is the key to achieving your goal here. You will be spending more time running, so your body will start to show signs accordingly. You will also start gaining muscle weight while losing most of your body fat percentage. To participate in a half marathon, you need to be mindful of the following things.
- Look to build your running fitness. You should feel at ease when participating in a half marathon, having completed at least a few 10 kilometers already.
- Don’t rush. Take your time when training. It is extremely important to run with a proper posture rather than just dragging yourself.
- Know your comfort pace and stick to it.
- Find clothes which can wick moisture but also allow you to breathe. They should feel light and easy.
Marathon or 26.2 miles
A marathon is the father of races. If you can complete one marathon successfully, you can achieve almost anything. There is no shortcut to running a marathon. You have to train and you have to train hard. Marathons are long and tough, but on completion, the feeling of achievement is just incomparable. Nonetheless, here are a few tips to remember when participating in a marathon.
- Keep a realistic window for training. 6 months should be the minimum time. Don’t go for a run under-prepared.
- The key to finishing your marathon is your speed. It is extremely crucial. The thumb rule is to start slow, cut 15 seconds from each mile to add them to the last miles. This will help you conquer the most difficult part of the marathon with ease.
- Your body will start feeling weird once you reach the 21 miles mark. Your legs will tighten up, your lungs on fire and your body will refuse to move. To combat that, you need to constantly hydrate yourself and follow a nutritious diet. And also undergo a lot of training.
- You need clothes that can ensure to be a quality wear. Not only should they be able to wick moisture and promote breathability, but should also be light in weight, stretchable and comfortable to wear.
- Dress like the temperature is 20 degrees more. When you start running, you will sweat, and comfort will become your main obstacle.
- Pick the right accessories as well. For instance, shoes and socks should be exclusively picked for the occasion.
Ultra Marathon > 26.2 miles
The trick about ultra-marathons is that they can come in all kinds of distances that are over 26.2 miles. It is extremely important to understand that the distance can up to 62 miles, and honestly, that is a lot compared to anything mentioned above. It will exhaust you to your core. Hence, it goes without mention that training is important. You should only participate for an ultra-marathon when you are completely prepared for it. Here are still a few pointers to remember.
- Listen to your body. Even if you fail, it doesn’t matter. Make sure that you enjoy your time running.
- Pick clothes that are functional and can endure the distance. Ultramarathon clothing is different and special. Make sure to pick one that actually retorts to the one which can last long, without feeling sticky or uncomfortable.
Hence, whichever marathon type you choose, make sure to be prepared and wear the right clothes. Keep yourself hydrated by consuming copious amounts of water. Get proper rest to give your body the chance to heal itself. But above all, learn how to enjoy your regime. Winning is definitely a part of life, but once you start enjoying every little aspect of it, everything becomes easier.